M.S.E. in Sustainable EngineeringOnline program
If you are a professional or a graduate-level student with an engineering or physical science background, and you want the convenience and flexibility of an online degree backed with the expertise of the people who wrote the book on sustainable engineering, you want the Masters of Science in Engineering degree in Sustainable Engineering from ASU. We’ll help you understand how to integrate complex social, environmental, political and economic factors so you can create elegant environmentally, socially and economically efficient engineering solutions for your clients and your organizations. The program is offered online.
In this program you’ll develop:
- Multidisciplinary expertise so you can better understand and work with complex engineering and technological systems;
- Knowledge of core sustainable engineering principles;
- Expertise in natural and man-made system modeling, dynamics and adaptive behavior;
- A working knowledge of key environmental and social considerations, and how they can be integrated into technology design;
- Skill in using essential tools such as life cycle assessment and design for sustainability; and
- The technical and communication skills necessary to understand and explain to others the sustainability implications of engineered systems.
You can choose among different tracks to suit your needs and interests, including:
- Earth systems and industrial ecology
- Infrastructure systems
- Green buildings and construction practices
- Global technology and policy
You can build your program from a wide variety of courses, including:
- Advanced earth systems engineering and management
- Industrial ecology and design for sustainability
- Life cycle assessment of civil systems
- Green buildings science and construction practices
- Sustainable civil and environmental systems
- Sustainable energy and material technologies and systems
Degree: minimum of a bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering or a closely related field from a regionally accredited college or university
Civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction engineering, mechanical engineering students with an engineering degree other than the above may be admitted, with deficiencies as identified by the sustainable engineering faculty, if appropriate.
If the applicant does not have an undergraduate degree in any of the above, additional requirements may be necessary based upon the applicant’s background, including:
- sufficient courses in mathematics including but not limited to calculus, differential equations and linear algebra in physics, chemistry or biology
A faculty committee will determine which required courses are needed on a case-by-case basis.
GPA: minimum of a 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00=A) in the last 60 hours of a student’s first bachelor’s degree program; minimum of 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00=A) in the applicable master’s degree
English Proficiency Requirement for International Applicants: The English proficiency requirements are the same as the Graduate Education requirement. Applicants whose native language is not English (regardless of current residency) must provide proof of English proficiency.
Required Admission Examinations: GRE
Letters of Recommendation: Yes
Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both Graduate Education and those of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.